A Gap of Air

The air once widened into a gap
Is where shadow is lost to light
It is through that crack walked my love
Purposeful and imaginary stealth
My sight centered on her

I glanced skyward then in thought
Where shadowy clouds parted my mind's sky
The crease of grey clearly defined against white
The grass beneath me to either side felt soft
On this trail I stood

As in all trail ends
There is the path that comes before it
A walk from beginning to end
Unique and personal for each
I stood still now for this instant on firm dirt
This one spot on the path
My spot

My eyes closed gradually in quick slumber
The restful blackness visible
I lay down on my spot
This new love lay down beside me
Time flowed across the gap between us
Her hair flowing across my blind vision
Sensitive smell sensed perfume on her lips

You and I, both clearly in this path's space
The gap of air untouchable but there
A whisper of movement from you I felt
The clear soft skin unmistakable and fresh
Arms length away you were in the blankness of time
My own time

Your eyes were visible to me
Only like an old canvass in a dark attic
Like circular rainbows
Spotlighted from a sunbeam
Peaking through a crack in the wall

I watched your hair turn slowly to a fresh spot
A wave of lush love rippled down my skin
And was gone just as suddenly
Yes you were alive I know
The crease of grey clearly defined against white
The unbleached fragment in a wink

This is where the deep hidden temperature I felt came from
The restful detail left on this path's spot
Where once I lay encumbered in love
Gaps left covering the true condition of my heart


Mark, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment