Stabbed



Stabbed: (disserted, empty, sated)

Foreboding & Forgotten.
It's 2:00 AM & the streets are disserted.
Rain from an earlier downpour
makes its lonely yet soothing cascade
down into a street drain.

I walk as a zombie on vodka.
I think one foot is falling
in front of the other.
Am I who I say I am?

I know I am
as dense as air tonight.
The only sound my footfalls
on wet concrete.
They make a statement
that I am out here
guarding the sleeping
who do not know me.

It is 2:30 AM & the park is empty.
I cut across its wet grass,
my footfalls are drowned.
Now I am I,
a stalker with secrets.

Startled into pause,
he lay in a pool of blood
near the dark swing set.
The sweet land
falling up to his open eye.
All was still
except the sound of mist.

I rested at the swing
& told him my story,
how I had pretended
& never felt right about it,
how I wandered as a stranger
even to myself.
I watched him listening.
Determined.

Kneeling down
I smelled fresh blood
oozing from his wounds.
I whispered goodnight
into his ear tenderly.
He looked willingly absent.
I appreciated his honesty.

It is 4:00 AM & I walked sated.
I walked out of the park
into the band of light.
The stranger stabbed
& forgotten.



Mark David Jordan, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment